Currency: Pound Sterling
Time Zone: UTC/GMT +0 hours during Standard Time
UTC/GMT +1 hour during Daylight Saving Time
The weather in Stratford-upon-Avon is typically British, with a temperate climate and rainfall spread evenly throughout the year. Summer can be fine and sunny, though heavy rain is not uncommon. Winter is fairly frosty, with January and February usually the coldest months, often bringing light snow.
- Stratford-upon-Avon is the birthplace and hometown of the world’s most famous playwright, William Shakespeare.
- The town receives around 3 million visitors per year.
- Shakespeare died on his 52nd birthday of a fever, said to be the result of a ‘merry meeting’ with fellow poets, at which they all drank too much.
- Shakespeare’s parents and his three children were almost certainly illiterate.
- Shakespeare is believed to have influenced the English language more than any other writer in history, penning many terms and phrases that we use today. He is also credited with inventing the popular given names Olivia, Jessica and Miranda.