Time Zone: UTC/GMT +1 hour
The weather in Aix-en-Provence is pleasant year-round, thanks to its mild Mediterranean climate. Summer in Aix-en-Provence (from June to September) brings hot, sunny days and temperatures averaging around 30°C (86°F). Winter (December to February) is cool, with temperatures around 12 to 15°C (53 - 59°F). Spring and Autumn are usually short and experience cool, balmy weather. October is the wettest month of the year with around 100mm of rain fall.
- French artist Paul Cezanne was born and died in Aix-en Provence. He was famously regarded by fellow artists Picasso and Matisse as ‘the father of us all’.
- During the depths of winter, hot water flows from the Moussue fountain in the middle of the Cours Mirabeau, blanketing the immediate surroundings in a shroud of mist.
- Provencal food is almost always made with plenty of olive oil, tomatoes and garlic.
- Aix has long been known as a university district, with a large student population and many university campuses.
- Aix was founded in 123 BC by the Roman consul Sextius Calvinus. The Sextius Thermal Baths are named after him.