What to eat in Bordeaux?
Although famous for Bordeaux wines, the region offers plenty of fine cuisine and food specialties to match.
- Entrecôte marchand de vin: World famous dish of rib steak cooked in a rich gravy made from Bordeaux wine, butter, shallots, herbs and bone marrow.
- Cannelés Bordelais: The traditional Bordeaux specialty cake. Canneles are chewy and sweet, much like a caramelised brioche.
- Sauce Bordelaise: Of all the local specialties, the most renowned is Sauce Bordelaise, made with red wine, marrow-based stock, shallots, and seasonings.
- Lamproie a la Bordelaise: Eel braised in red wine, often with carrots, leeks and herbs.
- Oysters: Be sure to taste outstanding oysters in Bordeaux, harvested from the Bay of Arachon and traditionally served with hot sausage.