Population: 479,803 (2009)
Time Zone: UTC/GMT +1 hour
Summer in Lyon (June to late September) has temperatures that climb to 27°C (81°F). Winter in Lyon (from December to February) experiences low temperatures of just below 0°C (32°F). Lyon has sporadic rainfall throughout the year. Spring, from March to May, is the most pleasant time to visit the city.
- Lyon is the gastronomy capital of the world.
- Lyon is the second largest Renaissance city after Venice.
- The highest tower in Lyon is nicknamed ‘the pencil’ by locals.
- Lyon is the silk-manufacturing capital of the world.
- A large portion of the city of Lyon is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.