What to eat in Lyon?
Known as the gastronomical capital of the world, Lyonnaise cooking is world-famous and dining is a serious affair. As you relax at the local bouchons, be sure to sample the classic local specialties.
- Cevelle de Canuts: A simple and delicious creamy cheese dip, seasoned with shallots, garlic and herbs. Traditionally served as a mid-morning snack or at the end of a meal.
- Gateau de foie: A light and airy pate made with chicken livers.
- Salade de pieds de mouton: A green salad featuring sheep’s feet. With plenty of flavour to be found in the cartilage, tendons and skin, Lyon butchers sell sheep’s feet pre-cooked for this classic Lyonnaise dish.
- Saucisson sec: Dry sausage, available in endless flavours and varieties.
- Lyonnaise potatoes: Sliced potatoes fried in goose fat with onions.