Population: 1.017 million
Time Zone: UTC/GMT +1
Cologne’s climate is pleasant most of the year round. The warmest months are July and August with average maximum temperatures of 24°C (75°F). January and February are the coldest months with daily maximums of about 5°C (41°F) and minimums of about 0°C (32°F). Spring and autumn temperatures are mild during the day, with averages of between 12 and 18°C (54 and 64°F). Rainfall is spread evenly throughout the year but showers usually clear quickly and shouldn’t dampen your Cologne holiday.
- Cologne is known as the city of churches and has 12 large Romanic churches contained within the medieval city walls.
- Founded by the Romans in 50 AD, Cologne is the oldest documented city in Germany.
- The city’s German name is Köln.
- There is a dedicated chocolate museum in Cologne - the Schokoladenmuseum.
- Expat Italian perfumer, Johann Maria Farina, loved Cologne so much he named the fragrance he created after it. Eau de Cologne (water from Cologne) is now famous the world over and is still produced in the city.