Population: Approx. 5,200
Time Zone: UTC/GMT +1
Oberammergau has an alpine climate, which brings mild summers, cold winters and high annual rainfall. Summer (June – August) temperatures average between 12 and 25°C (53 and 77°F) while winter (December – February) sees temperatures of approximately -7 to 1°C (19 to 33°F). June and July are the wettest month to visit Oberammergau, however they are also the sunniest so any showers should pass quickly.
- Of the approximately 5,200 people who live in Oberammergau, more than 2,000 take part in the Passion Play that takes place every 10 years.
- You have to have lived in Oberammergau for at least 20 years to be eligible to play a role in the Passion Play.
- Villagers make all the costumes for the Passion Play themselves. Because no wigs are used, participants must grow their hair and beards for several months before the performance, beginning on Ash Wednesday according to the town’s ‘Hair Decree’.
- Roles in the Passion Play are often handed down through family members.
- The Bavarian State Woodcarving School is located in Oberammergau.