What to eat in Athens?
Traditional food in Athens is based on fresh seasonal vegetables, locally produced olive oil and cheese. Nothing will make you feel more like a local than indulging in Greek cuisine that has been served here for millennia on the terrace of a traditional taverna. Some of the Greek dishes you may want to try are:
- Spanakopita: Spinach with feta or sometimes ricotta cheese, baked in light pastry until crispy, this delicious specialty is a perfect between meals snack.
- Moussaka: This casserole style dish is traditionally made by layering eggplant, spiced ground meat and béchamel sauce then baking in the oven, however other variations exist incorporating layers of potato, or zucchini.
- Gyros: The most popular fast food in Greece and well known around the world, Gyros refers to meat (usually pork) roasted on a vertical spit. It is usually served with sauce and garnishes either on a plate or rolled up in pita bread.
- Kakavia: Assorted fish, shrimp and potatoes are the main ingredients of this tasty soup, which is finished with herbs, and a light drizzle of olive oil.
- Galaktoboureko: Irresistible to anyone with a sweet tooth, this traditional dessert consists of layered pastry and semolina-based custard that is flavoured with lemon, orange or rose. Brushed with clear sweet syrup, it looks shiny and enticing in bakery windows.