Time Zone: UTC/GMT +1 hour
The south of Italy has a Mediterranean climate. Summers are long, hot and dry and often reach temperatures of 35°C (95°F), although it is generally cooler on the Bay of Naples islands. Winter in Naples tend to be moderate, averaging around 10°C (50°F). Spring and early autumn are the best times to visit Naples, with mild, warm temperatures. Expect lots of rain in December through to March.
- Pizza, one of Italy’s most famous foods, originated in Naples, as did the popular Italian liqueur Limoncello.
- The world’s first true pizzeria, called Antica Pizzeria Port’Alba, opened in Naples in 1830.
- The Festival of Pizza takes place in Naples every September, with days and nights filled with music, performances and of course, lots of authentic pizza!
- There are 448 historical churches in the city.
- Residents of Naples are called Neapolitans.