Population: City - 268,993 (2008); Metro - 621,406 (2008)
Time Zone: UTC/GMT +2 hours
Winter in Venice can be quite cold. Average temperatures range from -1°C to 6°C (30°F to 43°F) from December to February. Thick fog frequently blankets the city in the winter and snow is rare. Summer in Venice can be hot and humid, with daytime temperatures up to 37°C (99°F), humidity quite high and frequent thundershowers. High season runs from April through October.
- Venice is made up of 117 small islands separated by canals and linked by bridges.
- Venice's patron saint, San Marco (St. Mark), is honoured on
- Inspired by the history of Venice, Shakespeare set both Othello and The Merchant of Venice there.
- The residents of Venice are called Venetians.
- James Bond visited Venice twice for Her Majesties Secret Service; Moonraker (Roger Moore) and Casino Royale (Daniel Craig).