Language: English and Irish Gaelic
Currency: Pound Sterling
Time Zone: UTC/GMT +0 hours
Weather in Derry is mild throughout the year with average high temperatures of around 18°C (64°F) in the summer months of July and August, and approximately 5°C (41°F) in the winter months of December and January. Rainfall is regular throughout the year, with April to September being the wettest months, however temperatures rarely drop far enough for it to snow.
- The name Derry comes from the Irish word Doire, meaning Oak Grove.
- The Derry coat of arms features the crest of the city of London above a black field containing a castle and a skeleton sitting on a mossy stone.
- Despite being under siege several times, Derry’s City Walls have never been breeched.
- In the 19th century, Derry was the shirt-making capital of the world.
- After her historic 1932 solo transatlantic flight, Amelia Earhart landed in farmland just outside Derry.