Language: English and Irish Gaelic
Currency: Pound Sterling
Time Zone: UTC/GMT +0 hours
Omagh experiences mild weather and steady rainfall all year round. Summer (June – August) maximums average about 18°C (64°F) with overnight lows of around 11°C (52°F). The average minimum temperature in winter (December – February) is 2°C (35°F), which is relatively warm for Northern Ireland’s latitude, and daytime temperatures are usually around 7°C (44°F). The sunniest months to visit Omagh are May and June with an average of six hours sunshine a day.
- The name Omagh comes from the Irish Ómaigh, meaning ‘the virgin plain’.
- Omagh was one of the first areas in Northern Ireland to transfer to broadband internet from dial-up connections.
- The actor Sam Neill was born in Omagh.
- Omagh once experienced the coldest air temperature ever recorded in Ireland, -19.4°C (-2.9°F).
- Each year in September, crowds flock to the Ulster American Folk Park for the Bluegrass Music Festival.