Population: 3,265,038 (2011)
Time Zone: UTC/GMT +1 hour
Madrid enjoys a Mediterranean climate. Summer (June – August) brings hot temperatures, consistently above 30 °C (86 °F). September is a pleasant time to visit Madrid, as temperatures drop to about 25°C (68°F). Daily temperatures in Winter drop around November and average 12°C (55°F) and drop as low as 9° C (48°F) in December.
- Madrid is the highest capital city in Europe.
- Madrid gets its name from the Arabic “magerit” which means ‘place of many streams.’
- Madrid is home to the Spanish Royal family and is the political centre of Spain.
- Residents of Madrid are called ‘Madrilenos’.
- The official symbol of Madrid is a bear on its hind legs eating berries from the Madrono tree and symbolises the city’s growth through fertile soil and aristocracy.