Population: 632,323 (2012)
Currency: US Dollar
Time Zone: UTC/GMT -5 hours
Summer in Washington tends to be very hot and humid. Autumn and fall are the perfect times to visit the city as the days are bright and pleasant (albeit a little chilly). In winter, Washington receives heavy snowfall as well as sudden arctic blasts and frozen rainstorms. Winter temperatures average around 3.3 °C (38°F) and the daily average in summer is around 26.6°C (79.8°F).
- Thomas Jefferson had a pet mockingbird that flew freely around the White House!
- The state of Washington, named after George Washington who picked the location, is the only state to be named after a United States president.
- The design of Washington D.C.'s flag was based on the shield from George Washington's family's coat of arms.
- Nearly a quarter of Washington residents speak a second language other than English.
- The Washington National Mall is almost twice the size of Rome's Vatican.